Research Software Engineer (Remote - EU)
About AgreenaAgreena is an exciting, dynamic, and purpose-oriented organisation united in a mission to mobilise farmers and corporations to unlock the value of nature and help restore the planet. While we’re rooted in agriculture, finance, and technology, our team of experts range from soil carbon scientists and software developers to market strategists and regulatory affairs experts. Over 200 employees across more than 40 nationalities are gathered under the common Agreena flag – either working from our headquarters in Copenhagen, offices in London, or remotely across Europe.
Agreena provides solutions that drive both environmental and financial sustainability. Our company offers a supportive and positive work environment with opportunities for learning, leading, and growth no matter where you are in your professional journey. We believe in giving our employees a lot of responsibility, and we encourage new thinking, innovation, and fun.
And this is where you come in:
As a Research Software Engineer at Agreena, you will play a crucial role in advancing our research initiatives by collaborating in the development, maintenance, and optimisation of software solutions that quantify the environmental benefits of regenerative agriculture. You will work closely with cross-functional teams of researchers, data engineers, and backend developers to help develop and scale simulation models as part of new products and technologies. You will be closely aligned with the broader Program team that contributes to the science, standards and data required to operate carbon and nature-based solutions for the business.
Please note - This is a Software Engineering position, not Data Science
How will you make an impact:
- Collaborate with program scientists and research modellers to design and implement solutions for research software development.
- Design and help manage the infrastructure for an effective software development environment.
- Develop, test and maintain custom software tools (Predominantly R and Python packages)
- Optimise existing software code to improve performance and scalability.
- Collaborate with data engineers and scientists to build data pipelines for model development.
- Develop implementation plans for change requests, evaluate risks to integrity of infrastructure and research software environment.
- Document software design, implementation, and user guides for internal and external audiences.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest developments in software engineering and scientific computing to advance the research efforts in the company.
Who we’re looking for:
- A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- We recognise that research software engineering happens in a variety of contexts, so do also apply if you have demonstrable software engineering experience, but don’t necessarily have a CS/SE degree.
- Strong programming skills in R and Python.
- Experience working in a research environment.
- Expertise in version control systems, and package managers.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment.
Bonus points if:
- Experienced with scientific computing libraries and frameworks (e.g., Tidyverse, NumPy, SciPy, or similar).
- Experienced in engineering for compute intensive problems, either HPC or cloud-based (GCP/AWS).
What’s in it for you:
- A unique opportunity to join and help shape a fast-growing tech scale up with the determination and ambitious mission to reverse climate change
- A truly global environment where you can collaborate and socialise with diverse and passionate colleagues
- Competitive compensation package and holidays
- Option to work from home part time with planned trips to the central office in CPH Team events throughout the year
- An exciting purpose-led culture and mission Open communication and supportive feedback culture
Not quite what you're looking for?We encourage you to follow our Agreena LinkedIn page to keep updated on content, articles as well as new opportunities opening. You can also subscribe to our job alerts talent pool to stay in the loop for the departments you're interested in exploring further at Agreena.
Be your best-self everyday at AgreenaAt Agreena we are devoted to building an environment that promotes equality, inclusion, and diversity. We are on the path towards expansion and growth so with that, we believe everyone’s uniqueness should be celebrated and embraced to help us achieve this exciting journey. This is critical to our success and innovation. We want to build a product that is loved by our customers and we want the same to be reflected in our teams.
With this in mind, we are working to ensure Agreena remains a diverse and inclusive environment for everyone.